Monday, March 11, 2013

THE WILD WINDS OF MARCH



MARCH MADNESS

I come from Indiana where BASKETBALL creates a true MARCH MADNESS and some call it HOOSIER HYSTERIA and at my house we consider ourselves part of the HOOSIER NATION.  Some people would say we are full of it but then maybe we are???  On game days you can find me in my I.U. red leather chair with my red shirt and socks ready for a game.  I am privileged to attend many of the home games in Bloomington, IN.  We are a sports oriented family be it basketball, football, soccer or any other Big Ten event.  We have the BTN (Big Ten Network) on our television systems and we text, tweet and call about the games.  It is a great family connection.

 The weather is so unpredictable during this month so be prepared to punt your curriculum.
I visited Austin Peay University in Clarksville, TN and experienced excitement about the ideas on the playground.  Material, purchased at a local store, was tied, at the top, to the high fence and the children could see the effects of the wind even when it was just a
breeze.

 



 



Consider your playground and how you can take advantage of the March winds.  Sound is another effect of the wind and the playground provided exploration of sound.






 
If someone is cutting down a tree in your area, especially after a story, ask them to cut you some logs – and of course deliver them to your playground.  This log-a-pillar is a favorite of all the children to sit on and to walk on.  The tent tunnels are a favorite and the children helped construct this tent around the tunnels and they can see and feel the effects of the wind as they listen to the sounds surrounding the area.








For more information about this wonderful playground and university based center  contact:

Connie Sanders
Director
Austin Peay State University
Child Learning Center
637 N 8th Street
P.O. Box 4776
Clarksville, TN 37044
sandersc@apsu.edu
931.221.6234

The world is moving at an accelerated speed but children need to experience the world that surrounds them in a natural play atmosphere.

As the world turns at an accelerated speed I try to keep myself grounded. Each day brings a new adventure and here is a fun and true story.  My cell phone rang and I heard “Grandma Dodie (that would be my family name) it’s me Cole.” 

“Hi buddy I knew it was you.”  “Tell your plane to bring you back!”  “Honey I cannot come back to Florida.”  “Yea, just tell your plane to bring you back.”  “I cannot come back to Florida right now.”  “Yea you have to because I am playing baseball

And I hit the ball really, really hard and runned faster and faster.”  “You gotta come back.”  Then in the background I heard……”Cole, where are you and do you have my phone?”  He figured out to call me on his mom’s cell phone and I cherish every phone call he sneaks.

                   Kid stories are always the best stories.  Keep a journal of what they say and it will be the best reading day or night.                                                                                                                                                  
I am on the road for the rest of the month of March and the calendar is full for April and May.  Hope to see you along the way.

Thanks for joining me and you can contact me at:

Mary Jo Huff
maryjo@storytellin.com
Check out my web site:
www.storytellin.com

Join me on FB, Pinterest, Linkedin and PreKandKsharing

PLAY SAFE & HAVE FUN!!!

1 comment:

  1. Very fun and colorful! I have logs galore up in Northern MN, wish I could share them! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you! Please feel free to leave a comment below....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...