Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Kids in the garden....

I love the excitement of little ones working and playing in the garden, don't you?  My little one who is five loves working in the garden. She has always been a garden girl. I feel so strongly about children learning about how to garden, flowers or vegetables. As you can see we work as a team!


It all started with my up bringing. My parents loved to plant vegetables and my aunt was an awesome gardener. She had a major physical disability and at a very young age I was her assistant. Over 40 years I learned how to landscape, create container gardens and grow and display trees. My uncle taught me how to stake a tomato and grow the largest one to be the envy of the neighborhood. I had a terrific childhood because my family took me to many state parks to go bird watching and explore nature. Now my own children are experiencing the same if not more.  The fresh air and the dirt between their fingers and toes only adds to a wonderful night sleep for them. It seems when I fertilize the garden the kids grow an inch a week as well.


 Remember that the time spent out doors is a beautiful time together. When I am with my daughter planting I am taken back to a time with my aunt and I feel young again. What a GREAT feeling!




 There is nothing wrong with pulling weeds in the garden wearing your "Snow White" gloves!!!

 So as I end this short but sweet post. 
Remember this, get your children out in the the garden and watch them grow!


Laura is a elementary art teacher who is the author of the blog Painted Paper. She has presented her thematic units nationally at the National Art Education Association and Ohio Art Eduction Association Conferences. You can follow her updates on fun and creative projects for kids here

1 comment:

  1. What a great reminder! I also have fond memories of working with my mom in the garden as a child. Definitely an experience that can help kids grow! :)

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you! Please feel free to leave a comment below....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...